Sorry this is so late...I actually posted the wrong journal entry and realized it just a little bit ago.
Journal 9.2: Thinking back to the gardening activity, your remember Susana standing near the gardening table talking with Jessica. She noticed Pepe starting to sprinkle dirt in Jessica's pot and tossing dirt around the table. Gerardo complained about the dirt being thrown at the table. If you were Susana, what might you do to guide this interaction? (pg. 292)
I would first kneel down to the childrens' eye level and then I would begin to engage Pepe in a conversation, hopefully distracting him from throwing the dirt. I would ask him to tell me what he is supposed to be doing (putting dirt in his own pot and then adding his flower and watering his plant). I would then ask him where the soil is supposed to be going (in the pot). I then would ask him if his soil was to go in the pot, why did some of it wind up in Jessica's pot and on the table? Hopefully he would respond that he either put some in Jessica's pot or that he wound up putting some on the table. I would then explain that every boy and girl is able to put soil in his or her own pot on their own and throwing soil around the table or in the air not only gets our neighbor's dirty but it wastes our materials.
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Your ideas sound very good! When I read this journal question, I really had no idea what the question was getting at, but reading your answer I definitely understand. You have many helpful ideas and suggestions. I think you would definitely get the students back on task, and this way seems much more successful than reprimanding or yelling at the students. Being specific and helping to guide them back on task is the best way to handle that, and I totally agree with your answer!
ReplyDelete