Montessori developed her educational program for children with needs similar to those of many in the United States today. Predict whether you think that her program would work for U.S. children living in poverty with little adult supervision. Accompany your prediction with the reasons supporting your opinion.
- pg. 147
I think that a Montessori curriculum would be an excellent opportunity for children living in poverty here in the U.S. Because Montessori based her curriculum around "practical life experiences," like gardening and cleaning a house, the students living in home situations with little parental involvement would be experiencing these tasks every day. By structuring a school with centers similar to a child's daily life, the child is able to feel comfortable in a new school setting; when the child is comfortable, the teacher is able to observe the child's interactions and encourage the child to continue to build upon their learning.
I feel like many children who are living in home situations with little parental involvement are not likely to attend a Montessori school because it is unfamiliar to the parent, even though they would benefit greatly from attending one. I feel like most parents who have limited involvement in their child's life will most likely choose to send their child to a public school with a traditional curriculum because it is the most familiar to them. Depending on how long the family has lived in poverty, the parents and grandparents may have grown up in poverty and attending anything but a public school with a traditional curriculum was never an option. I think the unfamiliarity with the Montessori curriculum is probably the biggest turn off for parents in poverty; another option is the fact that transportation to another school site may not be available. If the parent is uninvolved, children most likely arrive at school by bus. If a Montessori school is not close in proximity to the child's home, it may be very difficult for a child to go.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I agree with what you said about the parents not liking the unfamiliarity of the Montesorri approach. Usually, as sad as this is, people who are less educated do not agree with the more "radical" type education systems. I think that they'd definitely want a more traditional fact-based education which is what most public schools seem to provide. Plus, Montessori thrives upon family and community involvement and I'm not sure poverty-striken homes have the luxury to be as involved as they would like to be in their child's early education.
ReplyDelete