Wednesday, February 25, 2009
First Lesson!!!!
Today was the day I've been waiting for...the day I've been preparing for for, well, practically my whole life. I taught my first real lesson today to the first grade class I am in. I woke up extra early this morning because I was so excited...yeah, I know. I got to school almost a half-hour early and I had all of my materials ready before most of the students were even there. When it came time for me to teach my lesson, I was so nervous I actually forgot to have the students write the names on their paper. My lesson was all about learning to use pictures as sources of information and, to accomplish that, I used a Jan Brett book the children had never looked at before. We reviewed how "tricky" Jan Brett gave us clues into the story using small illustrations on the side and that those pictures showed us what would happen on the next page. I took my small groups of students (six groups of three) on a picture walk through The Umbrella and I had them write one sentence predicting what would happen to the animals once the umbrella began to sink in the water and then one sentence at the end saying what actually happened. The students were so intrigued by the fact that we weren't reading a story with words, just pictures. I had such a fun time watching their enjoyment and encouraging them that I actually lost track of time. My poor last group could only go the picture walk before recess started! My lesson went so much better than I expected and the students were all so engaged that I wish I could teach lessons more frequently!! I walked a way with the biggest smile on my face realizing that I am indeed doing what I've been meant to do. Today made me want to be a teacher more than ever!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This makes me smile. It is exactly what I hoped you would feel. I am so glad to hear it went so well. What an excellent choice of book to use in teaching that skill - impressive!
ReplyDeleteAhh this is inspirational! Sorry I just saw it now for the first time, but I had to comment! Glad it went well, I hope you have as much fun in your second lesson.
ReplyDeleteAww I'm glad your first lesson went so well! My first lesson went really well, the second not so well, but I though my third one went even better than the first. I know the feeling you're talking about.. I walked out of the school this past Wednesday and I felt so elated like a high from teaching and having the kids love my lesson. I'm kind of disappointed we only get to teach 3 formal lessons this semester!
ReplyDeleteI also had the problem of giving some groups more time and during one of our lessons, Lauren and I taught the lesson twice and started a third lesson when we realized it was almost 10:50 and we had to go, so our teacher took over. I think we will get better with timing as we get more experience in the classroom.